2011年4月17日星期日

Blog Assignments 3A

Demo and Written exploration of Cover Songs



Frankie Valli - "Can't take my eyes off you"

Muse- "Can't take my eyes off you"


In this assignment, I choose two versions of song “Can’t take my eyes off you” to analyze their melody and musical qualities. They come from Frankie Valli and Muse. Their melody is same but the harmony is quite different. From the Frankie’s version, I heard that he sings leisurely and express his emotion gently. Because his voice and the timbre are clear, Frankie’s version hears like he is romantic showing his love to the girl that he loves. However, Muse’s version hears more attractive and more passion because his virile voice and the rock elements. His voice makes me feel his love is deeper and exploding.
Then I will analyze these two versions through their musical quality. The rhythm from Frankie’s version is regular and the temple is soft because the regular and repeating beats as background. This song’s speed is andante. In this version, the band only uses saxophone and drum to create the whole song so I think the timbre is simple. This version has a clear organization because he is singing with a high pitch firstly and changes higher when the chorus comes. Moreover, only singer and drum’s sounds are playing in the first part of song and the saxophone is added in the beginning of chorus. This organization builds a kind of emotional architecture in order the make audience feel the singer’s emotion is becoming harder. On the other hand, the Muse’s rock version of “Can’t take my eyes off you” is quite different from the original one. I divide this version into two different parts. The rhythm of first part is faster than Frankie’s version. Muse sings softly firstly with low and hoarse voice in low pitch. The speed is moderate at that time. Also, the timbre is still simple now. This version’s organization is more obviously because everything changes in chorus. When the chorus comes, the intensity of song start changing to hard and heavy. The speed becomes fast and the timbre becomes complex. I can hear that the drums, electric guitar and bass are playing in the same time so the whole emotion changes. Muse also raises the pitch and sings with a little bit screaming. All rocking elements appear in the song. This organization of this version is easier to raise audience passion.
Even though these two versions of “Can’t take my eyes off you” have same melody and same rhythm in first part of song, the organization and timbre changes the feeling of them. The Frankie’s “Can’t take my eyes off you” hears a little bit old school to me. Also the temple is too slow hence it hears boring but I still love the meaning behind it. This version is too soft to express love. In stead, I like Muse’s version because I feel more from him. Muse’s screaming, the band’s playing and the lyric are working together tightly then bring me into a high and strong emotion. I feel I want to dump and scream with the band. I can feel I am exploring his love story with the change of his emotion. I like this version because the strong emotion from Muse and his band.

没有评论:

发表评论