2011年4月3日星期日

BLOG ASSIGNMENTS 1A


       I am an amateur photographer. I like traveling and seeing this world by my camera.  I have visited some interesting photography exhibit and sometimes the meaning behind photos amazes me. Through pictures, I can see what the photographer’s understand of the world and what kind of perception that they want to show. I think it also works on movie directors. I am a super fan of documentary films, and my favorite movie director is Werner Herzog. He directed many winnings film such as Grizzly Man, The Wild Blue Yonder and Scream of Stone. His went through lots of extremely dangerous places to work for his movies. In his all productions, the movie Encounters At The End Of The World is my favorite. This movie is not only talking about the beings in Antarctic, it also includes a theme about dream. The main theme of the film is nature, penguin, language extinction and etc. However, the deeper mean of the film is the scientists, truck driver, welder and etc. They are professional dreamers. For example, in the end of penguin part in the film, a penguin is walking father and father. (EX1) The narrator says: "The rules for the humans are not disturb or hold up the penguin. Standing and let him go on his way, he is heading toward certain death." This text is describing the penguin, but the subtext is describing the scientists and working people in Antarctic for research. There is no way to disturb them or distract them from their dreams; they want to work here even though died here. The penguins are the symbol of these dreamers.
 (EX1)
       It is difficult to define a documentary movie is objective or subjective. However, in my opinion, this movie is subjective. In the beginning of this movie (EX1), the narrator is “Who wants to come to Antarctic” . This question connects all parts of this film. According to this narrator, I can feel the director’s respect to the peoples that working in Antarctic for science. This movie is no as same as other sciences documentary movie, which describes a truth or a phenomenon of nature objectively. It contains director’s personal emotion. In my own view, I think Werner Herzog tries to use these scientists to represent himself. In an interview, he said that as a movie director, he was more interesting in producing documentary films because the adventure can bring his all passions. It was a kind of spirit for being a movie producer. He just likes the scientists that are completely addicted to their dreams. I think this movie is also an representation of his career life.
(EX2)
Thinking back to my childhood, the scariest movie that I saw were the series of Jurassic Park. I remember that was the fist time I cover my ears subconsciously during seeing a movie. I didn’t know why I would chose to turn off the sounds when I realize the Tyrannosaurus Rex might show up at that age. It was easy to understand the magic of sound because that experiences when I was young.  The movies inspired me far before I get into media industry.    
             Let’s watch one scene of Jurassic Park as an example.(EX3) In the beginning of this scene, the violoncello is playing during the little boy finds the movement of the water in those cups. The sound with slow rhythm and creepy melody raises audiences’ tension about the dinosaur is coming. After that the Tyrannosaurus Rex shows up. The music turns to fierce with the fight between the dinosaur and characters. Then the characters start running, the sound changes to extremely nervous to let audiences worry they may be catches by the dinosaur. 
                                                                        (EX3)
             This example illustrates my understanding of the musical magic, which I learnt from Jurassic Park in my young age. I think music is the second important concept of understanding a movie.  It decides the tone of the movie auditory.
          My understanding of the concepts from classes is the media production divides by kind, type, genre, sub-genre and approach.  The artists show their theme of productions in many ways. They use color, music, temple and melody to show the mood of their production. In a move, they are writing text and subtext to show the mean of a movie. Using the contrast and affinity help audiences to determine the character’s personality. The tension and release of the movie catch audiences’ attention to follow the scrip. The artists use amount of elements to create their work and express their meaning to audiences.

没有评论:

发表评论